Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Burger Review #28: The Stockyards

Photo by Andrew Hockridge
Date Visited: January 12, 2017
Location: Hillcrest
BurgerTours Rating: 7.85/10



    Taste         Messiness         Price         Venue        Pluses   
AwesomeMessy $11-$15RestaurantVeggie

Website


Drew's Review
Photo by Andrew Hockridge
For our 32nd burger review, we travelled to the west end of the city to visit one of "Toronto's most underrated burger joints" the city has to offer. Doing some research about where we were going to eat at for this month didn't really take any time at all. Our minds were made up and The Stockyards was the next on the list. We had heard about this place a few times over the last few months, but it was the location that was a bit of a challenge for us. Basically, Mark and I weren't familiar with the St. Clair West area, so we really didn't know what to expect, and this was going to be a new adventure for the both of us.

We arrived shortly after 2pm on a day in early January and there was already a small group of people dining in the restaurant. When we entered, we were quickly given a choice of where we would like to sit. We grabbed a couple of stools up along a bar they had against one of their walls. The space was fairly small, yet big enough to fit a few hungry customers. Given by my first impression, I could tell this place was a neighbourhood go-to hangout. But of course, this day in particular attracted to burger enthusiasts to its shop to try some delicious homemade creations. And I came with an empty stomach.

Upon arriving, Mark and I had given the menu a quick glance and saw only a few burgers to choose from. But they weren't your typical original cheeseburger or signature hamburger. These were creations made by the kitchen staff at the Stockyards, prepared fresh daily. All of the burgers sounded very interesting to try and I was going over them one by one in my head before the waiter returned to ask for our order.
Green Chili Pimento Cheese/Photo by Andrew Hockridge
I went with the Green Chili Pimento Cheese, which I was told was a great option. I slided in an order of fries and a drink to complete my combo. Barely a few minutes go by before our burgers are placed in front of us. I guess we were distracted by taking selfies and filming for this episode of BurgerTourTV. My burger looked amazing. The Green Chili Pimento Cheese was topped with smoked jalapeño, cheddar cheese, mayo, lettuce and crunchy string onions. Everything on this burger looked liked it was ready to be eaten and I was ready for my first bite.

The taste I got first was from the secret sauce and the mayo. It was tangy and really complemented the smoke jalapeño. The crunchy string onions were a treat as well as they were a great combination to add to this burger. The meat was juicy and well cooked and it was just the type of meat you would want to find in a burger. Everything about it was perfection and I'm glad I made the right choice. The fries on the side were crispy, golden brown, yet tender. I yearned for more.

Overall, the Stockyards houses burgers unlike any other joint in Toronto. Sure they may only have a few to choose from, but I'd take quality over quantity any day. This place is like very neighbourhood friendly, and very welcoming to newcomers such as us. I would definitely return again sometime in the future and I look forward to trying more fantastic creations from the Stockyard chefs.

8.2/10

Mark's Review

Photo by Andrew Hockridge
We take you to our first BurgerTour to the Hillcrest neighbourhood in St. Clair West where we visit the Stockyards Smokehouse & Larder. This area is almost foreign to me, as it was only my second visit to this part of Toronto’s west end. It was a refreshing scene to uncover a new locale where I can indulge in its food culture.

The Stockyards was a joint I’ve read about before and was always on my radar for burger joints to visit. They are known for their rendition of comfort food and fresh twist on classic diner meals.

Walking into Stockyards I was surprised by how small and intimate the space was, but especially at how the staff were very personal with their guests. After seating ourselves we were able to quickly glance at the menu, but it took no time for me to decide on what to order.

The Beast Style/Photo by Mark Avila
I went for the Beast Style.

The Beast Style is composed of two mustard seared patties served with a secret sauce, with caramelized onions, lettuce, and topped with American style cheese and pickles. This beast had quite the taste. After my first bite I couldn’t distinguish what I tasted; there were so many (distinct) flavours clashing with one another. After a few more bites, I could finally taste the soft seared patties and the caramelized onions coming together to create a smooth flavour that was both sweet and savoury. It was a nice combination that made this burger more enjoyable and a refreshing flavour for my taste buds.

Overall, I was satisfied with the whole experience. Would I consider coming back here frequently for a quick bite? Maybe not... but if I were ever in the area, then definitely!

7.5/10
The Stockyards Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment