Thursday, July 16, 2015

Burger Review #10: The Burgernator

Photo by Andrew Hockridge
Date Visited: March 23, 2015 
Location: Kensington Market 
BurgerTours Rating: 7.85/10


    Taste         Messiness         Price         Venue        Pluses   
GreatMessy $6-$10Fast FoodVeggie, Gluten Free, Patio








Drew's Review

The Lieutenant Burger/Photo by Andrew Hockridge
The Burgernator; a burger joint that opened in Kensington Market in February of 2013, specializes in big burger proportions and endless customizations. They offer all kinds of signature burgers: 6oz. patties which they call “burgers of mass destruction”, and 4oz. patties, also known as classics. The one thing that sets The Burgernator apart from other burger joints is their slogan: “The burger is our weapon; Toronto is our battlefield.”

Mark and I walked into their restaurant one day in late March and it just so happened that my birthday was a couple of days away. It was Mark’s treat to buy my order this time around. Upon walking into the joint, I had no idea what I was going to order. The Burgernator was a place that was on my “to try” list for a while and before we arrived, I had been meaning to go back to Kensington Market for some time. This was the perfect opportunity to sight-see and go for a delicious BurgerTour lunch.
Photo by Andrew Hockridge

We walked into the shop and the first impression I got was, “Wow, this is totally different from all the other burger joints we’ve eaten at.” The interior is very modern. The walls are largely painted black with logos, slogans and huge designs etched out in chalk, resembling a massive black board. There are tables along the two sides of the restaurant with a condiment bar directly in the centre. Take note, if you do choose to go on a weekend afternoon, the seating here is very limited. The best time to go is during a weekday afternoon. Trust me.

On one of their walls, opposite of where I went to place my order, is a huge menu etched out in chalk. The same menu can be found on their website and on a small handout printed on brown construction paper. I took a glance at the menu and there were two things I thought about trying; their signature Burgernator burger or the Lieutenant burger. If I had gone with the Burgernator, it would have been a resemblance to the burger I had at The Burger’s Priest: beef patties in between two grilled cheese sandwiches – a huge burger that I wasn’t prepared to eat a second time. So I went with the smaller option; the Lieutenant Burger, which had a double patty, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles and the special Burgernator sauce, (I was instantly attracted to its own signature sauce).

Within minutes, our orders were ready and we picked it up and walked back to our table. The burger looked amazing. Nothing was falling out, nothing was crumbling apart. This looked like a real good tasting burger and I couldn’t wait to get my hands around it. I took my first bite and my taste buds were blown away. The Burgernator sauce was a nice combination with the toppings on the burger and the meat was really juicy and cooked to perfection. The combo comes with a side of fries and a rosemary garlic aioli dip. The fries were freshly cut potatoes and well salted, and the dip sure adds to the flavour of the meal. By the time I had finished eating my meal, I was full. And this full was a good full. It was a satisfied type of full. 

Overall, The Burgernator is a unique place that serves up classic burgers and fits nicely among all the independent stores and food places Kensington Market offers. I don’t think I could have asked for a better burger. It’s surprising to see a burger place this good get so little recognition. So next time you find yourself in Kensington Market and craving a delicious burger, do yourself a favour and help rid the city of “half-hearted” and “undercooked” burgers by making a stop at The Burgernator.

8.2/10



Mark's Review
The Captain Jerk/Photo by Mark Avila
I think I could speak on behalf of Andrew that this was a place that we were both looking forward to visiting. Why it took so long...I don’t know. But now that we’ve actually tagged The Burgernator, I am looking forward to sharing this review with you.

The Burgernator definitely found its niche in Kensington Market. The cultural identity that this neighbourhood is known for definitely shows in the authenticity of the food. It caters to the diverse population present within this small area of downtown Toronto. 

Knowing that I love to try burgers with different, yet distinct flavours, this particular one that I tasted stood out amongst others. It was an easy decision for me as soon as I looked at the menu, not because it was the first one listed, but rather of what was in it. 

And that burger ladies and gentlemen is the Captain Jerk. A beef burger with lettuce, tomato, havarti cheese, grilled pineapple, and topped with a Jerk sauce. It had the flavours of a typical cheeseburger, but with a touch of Caribbean spice. The havarti cheese gave it an extra sweet and buttery taste to balance out the spice from the Jerk sauce. And the slice of pineapple gave it a little bit of tartness that completed the overall flavour of the Captain Jerk. 

Overall, my experience at the Burgernator was quite satisfying. It’s a casual burger joint where anyone from small to large groups can sit around and enjoy a tasty and authentic burger at an affordable price. So if you’re ever in Kensington Market looking for a bite to eat, this is the place to go to. You’ll definitely see me here again. 

7.5/10

Burgernator Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment