Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Special Burger Review: McCoy Burger Co

Photo by Andrew Hockridge
Date Visited: November 4, 2018
Location: Oshawa, ON
BurgerTours Rating: 5/10



    Taste         Messiness         Price         Venue        Pluses   
GoodChaos$11-$15Fast FoodVeggie

Website
 

Drew's Review

McCoy Burger Co. was simply just a forethought after reading that our first, desired option, Baldwin Street Burger in Whitby, was closed due to “unforeseen circumstances.” For a chilly day in early November, I didn’t mind driving out to Oshawa to try this burger joint. Within the last few months, I had seen McCoy pop up in a few searches of intended burger joints to try. Seeing they once had a location on Yonge St. in midtown, I didn’t want this one to be “the one that got away.”

We arrived shortly before 2 in the afternoon and we were pretty hungry. McCoy has two locations remaining; one in Ajax and one in Oshawa. The one we drove to was located in a small plaza in North Oshawa and if you’re not paying attention, you may miss it. We walked in to see a small number of people already dining for a late lunch/early dinner. Now because this wasn’t our originally planned joint, we barely did any research about what to order/what to avoid. The girl at the counter seemed kind of indifferent and wasn't to helpful with the menu.

With a quick glance of the menu, I decided to go for the Double Jack burger. It came loaded with two 4.5 oz. of premium Canadian beef on a ciabatta bun with 3 slices of real Monterrey Jack. Onions sautéed in BBQ Sauce and topped with lettuce, tomatoes and McCoy Sauce. Before my first bite, I didn’t know what to expect, but I knew this was going to get messy as sauces were already oozing out of it.

Double Jack/Photo by Andrew Hockridge
The first bite was mouth-watering, but it didn’t last long. It was harder to eat than I anticipated because the ciabatta bun was slowly disappearing before the rest of the burger. The sauce was still oozing out before the rest of the contents started to fall out. I also felt like the world was watching me eat, struggling to wipe up the mess that was escalating before me. I wanted to tap out, but I refused. The clash between the BBQ sauce and special McCoy sauce created a river of liquid that the burger itself could not contain. I was running out of napkins. I could barely taste the Monterrey jack cheese, the exact embodiment of what this burger was named after.

What this burger lacked was the consistency of a natural burger. The ciabatta buns were merely bread slices between two stacks of 4 ½ pounds of meat and a sauce that was waterier than an ice cream on a hot summer day. Along with the texture and no flame broil taste, it was greasy. Really greasy. Like so greasy, it would make Burger Priest seem like a health food staple. There was barely any flavour and maybe the only thing the burger needed was a little salt.

Perhaps my expectations for a place that once operated in midtown Toronto were too high? But maybe there was a good enough explanation as to why it closed up shop in the big city and maintained their east-most joints.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The meat itself was juicy and it was really good quality beef, but felt like it needed a touch of craftsmanship. The Double Jack came across a bit bland for my tastes and I probably wouldn’t get it again.

4/10

Mark's Review
The Mediterranean/Photo by Mark Avila
This tour was a more spontaneous than usual. Coming home from a weekend north of Toronto, we decided to take a quick detour to Oshawa. Here, we were originally planning on visiting a joint to do a tour, but to our surprise they were closed for a private function. As a backup, we drove a short distance to McCoy Burger Company.

This joint with locations in Ajax and Oshawa, prides in handmade burgers, farmed by Canadian Farmers, and grilled to perfection to provide you with the freshest and juiciest burger.

I opted for the Mediterranean. Local Ontario Spring Lamb on a bed of feta cheese, tomato, tzaziki, and lettuce. This perfectly brings out the flavours of Greece in a single burger.

At a first glance, it was sloppy and not put well together. However, the taste was good enough to save the presentation. The flavours fused together really well, and the taste was not overpowering as I was expecting. The lamb was nicely cooked, and the Tzatziki was definitely a highlight for me. It was a nice blend of citrus and sweetness to balance out the flavour.

It was nothing spectacular, as I was hoping for a good quality burger. But, it was decent enough to satisfy my hunger. Overall, the experience was underwhelming, but I hope to visit again soon for a better burger!

6/10
McCoy Burger Company Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment