Friday, February 14, 2020

Burger Review #43: Ozzy's Burgers

Photo by Andrew Hockridge
Date Visited: January 21, 2020
Location: Kensington Market
BurgerTours Rating: 8.4/10



    Taste         Messiness         Price         Venue        Pluses   
GreatVery Messy$11-$15Fast Food/RestaurantVeggie, Patio

Website
 

Drew's Review

Photo by Andrew Hockridge
Hi. How are you? Great. You’re welcome.

BurgerTour number 54 brings us back to Kensington Market to try Halal burger joint, Ozzy’s Burgers. Ozgur Sekar created Ozzy’s Burgers, a small, cozy, Halal burger joint in the heart of Toronto to share his passion of cooking and serving up his clients. Ozzy’s opened in the summer of 2017 and since its opening, Ozzy, himself, loves when he witnesses the smiles on all his customers after trying his burgers.

On a cold day in January, Mark and I decided Ozzy’s Burgers was going to be our next stop. We did our research and found out it was one of the top stops on our “yet to try” list. We were only aware of the rumor that it was one of the best places to try for burgers in downtown Toronto and our expectations were already set.

We entered the establishment in the early afternoon to an empty place. The dining area was small, but I already liked this place. The casual atmosphere and the friendly chatter between staff made me feel welcome. Upon reading over the menu in an attempt to satisfy our hunger, and getting the best possible option Ozzy’s had to offer, I was sidelined with choices between many interesting options. But somehow, I was drawn to Ozzy’s signature special double cheeseburger, the Mustang Sally. I thought to myself, how could I turn this down?

I decided to double down and order the Mustang Sally, which as I described, is a double beef patty with Canadian cheddar, swiss cheese, crispy beef bacon, caramelized onions, onion rings and special Ozzy sauce with BBQ dressing. And if I knew anything about double cheeseburgers, this was going to be a mouthful.

The Mustang Sally w/ golden crispy fries/Photo by Andrew Hockridge
I was quite impressed with the ten minutes that passed between order and completion. I was also impressed by how neatly presented the platters are. The fries on the side are definitely a plus, and needed, especially with a burger of this magnitude. The first bite was chaotic, yet satisfying. The patties are quite succulent and flavourful. Surprisingly, the bun and the toppings do not overwhelm the patty but compliments quite nicely. After a couple bites it was hard to really distinguish any flavour. Since it is a double patty all I ended up tasting was meat (not that that’s a bad thing) but I guess I was simply looking for something that would tickle my taste buds more. Nonetheless, I did eat it all and enjoyed it.

Overall, I wholeheartedly appreciated my meal at Ozzy’s Burgers and the mess created while eating the Mustang Sally was worth it. The only downside I would say about this place is the fact that it is a pretty small space to eat and in busy times, I suggest getting take out. But this is, as well as most of the restaurants in Kensington Market, a summer setting and does offer the outside tables for additional seating. Don't sleep on this place like we did for so long and get there now. Yes, even in the snowy conditions; it's so worth it. Can't wait to go back and try more tasty burgers on their menu.

8.3/10

Mark's Review

Kensington Market never has a shortage of burger joints. Seems like every time we visit this neighbourhood, a new burger joint opens up. For this tour we visit a new local favourite, Ozzy’s Burger. 

This joint serves Halal Burgers ranging from the classics, signature, and premium. They also offer steak and chicken sandwiches. All of the burgers and sandwiches are served with handmade patties, sauces and toppings.

I decided to take a different route for this visit and went for a healthier burger option. They offer a Vegan & Veggie menu consisting of the Ozzy’s Vegan Burger and the Portobello Veggie Burger.

I opted for Ozzy’s Vegan Burger. Made out of a vegan patty, carmelized onions, roasted peppers, lettuce, tomato, pickled, sautéed mushrooms, jalapenos, and homemade guacamole. This was my second time having a vegan burger, and I was definitely looking forward to what this had to offer.


Ozzy's Vegan Burger/Photo by Mark Avila
Taking that first bite, the patty was nicely cooked and tasted quite nice with the different sauces and toppings. The homemade guacamole had a slight spice to it, which enhanced the overall flavour. It’s a shame that the jalapeño didn’t give the burger any heat, but the guacamole made up for it. Even though I was expecting a bland and underwhelming burger, it surprised me by the overall presentation and flavour.

I was satisfied by the experience and would consider trying more vegan and vegetarian options during future burger tours. Ozzy’s is looking to be my new Kensington Market favourite.

8.5/10
Ozzy's Burgers Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment